Wednesday 18 May 2016

THE POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE IMPACTS TECHNOLOGY HAS ON OUR DAILY LIVES



In many ways technology has enabled us to strengthen relationships by keeping in contact with old friends, colleagues, and co-workers. What would we do if we could not find old friends from high school through Facebook? Technology has even provided opportunities for students all over the world to receive an education online, while still maintaining work schedules and family. Students are now able to take webinar courses and attain their degree online just as any student on campus. Isn’t that awesome!

Let’s use our imagination a bit. If the internet, mobile devices, and games were taken away from us, how would we feel? I know many of us would feel like a part of our life is missing due to technology now being a necessity in our everyday life. However, the big question is, does technology take away from interpersonal communication and interactions with our co-workers, peers, and colleagues. How many of you have rather talked to someone through text messaging, email, or social media to avoid a face to face communication? We may not realize it, but in my opinion, being dependent upon technology has only conditioned us to become less social, interactive, and outgoing.

Take a minute to ask yourself, when you go out with a group of friends or even on a date, do you find yourself fiddling or browsing on your phone due to the dullness of the conversation or the lack of interest. I sure do, and I have heard people refer to this as the security blanket approach. The security blanket approach can be defined as an individual using a source of technology to protect themselves from being interactive with another person or to simply occupy themselves in a situation that is not very interesting. There are many times I find myself going to dinner with friends or my significant other and as soon as there is a moment of silence or the conversation seems boring we instantly result to Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter to fulfill that sense or boredom and/or lack of interest.

With technology playing a significant role in my life as a student, parent, and employee, sometimes I find it rather difficult to engage in a conversation with friends without the use of technology. My friends and I find excitement through watching YouTube videos and listening to music, which then leads to conversation. I have yet to see people engage in conversations the “old fashion” way, without phones, tablets, or computers and that is something that I would like to see more of. I am challenging myself to power my phone off when I am at dinner or hanging out with friends. I also have some challenges for you as the reader.

1. The next time you go to a restaurant or hang out with your friends, observe how many people are occupying their phones, tablets, and/or computers instead of engaging in a conversation. How does that make you feel?

2. While you’re walking to your next meeting, to your office or to a class across campus, take a look up from your phone and speak to someone you do not know. If you’re an overachiever like myself, don’t be afraid to engage in a conversation.

If you have any interesting observations, thoughts, or comments about my post, please feel free to comment. I would love to hear other people’s opinions, perceptions, and logic about the positive and negative impacts of technology.


No comments:

Post a Comment